Who would have thought we would be sitting here in the second half of May talking about the Knicks in the playoffs? And not just in the playoffs, but hosting Game 1 at Madison Square Garden. What a time to be alive. The Knicks have stunned the basketball world behind Tom Thibodeau’s top-ranked defense and begin their playoff run Sunday against the Hawks.
To give you an in-depth Knicks-Hawks playoff preview, we bring you a brand new episode of the “Big Apple Buckets” podcast with Sal Licata, Jerome “The Junk Yard Dog” Williams and me, featuring an interview with two-time Knicks NBA champion Dr. Dick Barnett.
Big Apple Buckets Podcast with Sal, JYD & Jake:
- KNICKS-HAWKS SERIES PREVIEW: Knicks back in the playoffs! Got the matchup we all wanted in the Hawks and homecourt. Hawks’ real chance of winning would be if they shot 60 percent from downtown the entire series. Otherwise, the Knicks defense should propel them to a win. What do Knicks do at point guard?
- PREDICTIONS: JYD says Knicks in 4. Sal says Knicks in 6. I say Knicks in 5. How many people will be at MSG? How much could tickets cost?
- J-SWIZZY KNICKS PLAYOFF RAP: I bring back my alter ego J-Swizzy for a hot Knicks playoff-themed rap that leaves JYD barking and Sal cheering.
Dick Barnett Interview:
Two-time NBA champion with Knicks (1970, 1973), Knicks guard (1965-1973), No. 12 retired by Knicks
- 60s/70s KNICKS MEMORIES: Winning two titles with the Knicks, playing at MSG, playing alongside Walt “Clyde” Frazier, being coach by Red Holzman. What made those teams so good? How special is it to have his No. 12 in the rafters? Where did the “Fall Back Baby” nickname come from?
- BECOMING A DOCTOR: Ruptured tendon in 1968 changed his life. Ended up finishing school and becoming Dr. Dick Barnett. Harder back then to come back from major injuries. Ended up making All-Star team following year.
Catch up on all episodes of “Big Apple Buckets,” a New York Knicks podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the crew on Twitter @sal_licata, @JunkYardDogJW and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of the show drop Tuesday afternoons.